Calendar and Appointments
Your calendar is central to managing your practice and your patients, as you can manage your entire practice from your calendar. From your calendar you can automatically invoice patients and funding bodies, electronic payments and accept payments, send reminders and receive confirmations and create patient records: essentially the calendar drives your practice. This section describes your calendar and shows you how to make, change and delete a patient appointment, as well as add your own personal appointments.
- 1 Viewing your calendar
- 1.1 Calendar view preferences
- 1.2 Viewing multiple practitioners' diaries at the same time in group practices
- 1.3 Syncing your diary with your iPhone, Google Calendar and Outlook Calendar
- 1.4 Adding custom availability to your calendar
- 1.5 Searching your calendar for the next available appointment
- 1.6 Printing your calendar
- 2 Making appointments with patients
- 3 Making recurring appointments
- 4 Online bookings
- 5 Viewing and accessing appointment details, clinical notes, invoices, claiming/referral and patient profiles from an appointment
- 6 Appointment reminders on your calendar
- 7 Changing and editing the appointment time, fees, location and other details
- 8 Online Consultations
- 9 Appointment status
- 10 Cancelling and deleting appointments
- 11 Adding personal appointments to your calendar
- 12 Room, facilities and equipment booking
- 13 Viewing all appointments
Viewing your calendar
To view your calendar, click on the Schedule tab and click Calendar. Your practice opening hours are shown in grey. Using the navigation bar at the top of the calendar, you can:
- View your calendar in day view, week view or month view;
- View today's calendar;
- Scroll your view up and down with the calendar scroll bar; and
- Use the blue left and right arrows to move through your calendar on a daily, weekly or monthly basis; and
- Zoom in and out to change your time block settings (the minimum time block is 5 minutes and the maximum is 75 minutes).
A thin blue line across the calendar shows the current time in your timezone. Practice opening hours are shown in white and closed hours are shown in light grey. Patient appointments are shaded blue by default (you can set appointment colours for different types of appointments when adding fees, which you can see in this video), and personal appointments are shaded dark grey. Cancelled and non-attended appointments are shown with the appointment time struck through and the appointment colour slightly dimmed.
Hover over the time of the appointment for two seconds to view the details of the appointment in a hover box over the appointment.
Calendar view preferences
Your calendar is set by default to show 7 days and 24 hours, and to be a set width on your screen. Click the Preferences icon (in the top right of your screen near the help icon) to change these default settings to show:
- Only weekdays;
- Only the hours you want to see (e.g. 9am - 5pm); or
- Across the full width of your screen (which is helpful for viewing multiple practitioner's calendars at the same time).
Viewing multiple practitioners' diaries at the same time in group practices
If you are in a group practice and have an access level that lets you view others' diaries, you can view multiple practitioners' calendars all together in the Day view of your calendar, which makes appointment and practice scheduling easier and simpler. Click on the login toggle at the top right of your screen (where your name is shown) and then select which practitioners' diaries you want to view at the same time, and their diaries are then shown in the calendar.
When you view your calendar in Day view again, the practitioners' diaries you selected are shown on your calendar by default, and you can change it by selecting or deselecting practitioners in the login toggle.
Watch this video to see how to do this.
You can also expand your calendar view to the full width of your screen to make it easier to view multiple practitioners' calendars at the one time.
Syncing your diary with your iPhone, Google Calendar and Outlook Calendar
Main articles : Syncing your diary
You can sync your HealthKit diary and calendar so that your appointments created in HealthKit are also shown on your iPhone, Google Calendar or Outlook calendar, by following these simple instructions.
Adding custom availability to your calendar
As well as adding your overall practice hours on the Locations page, HealthKit’s custom availability lets you add additional ad-hoc hours or locations to your schedule, which updates your calendar availability and also updates your online booking availability. For example, if you usually work at Practice A on Mondays, but just on Monday April 1st you’ll instead be working at Practice B, you can change your availability just for April 1st without affecting your overall practice hours. It is important to note that custom availability should only be used to add additional hours, and you cannot remove hours using this function.
To add the hours or location for a specific day to your calendar, click the settings cog next to the relevant day on your calendar. If you have multiple locations, choose the correct location from the drop-down box then click the Add New button. Add the additional hours and click the Save button. Your custom hours or locations for that date have now been updated.
See more in this video.
Searching your calendar for the next available appointment
The appointment search feature in your HealthKit allows you to search for the next available appointment, so you do not need to manually scroll through your calendar. You can filter by locations, practitioners, date ranges, time of day and appointment duration. The next available appointments are then displayed.
Click the appointment search button to search for the next appointment from your calendar. If you have multiple practitioners and clinics, choose the practitioner and relevant clinic from the drop down menu. You can choose a date, time or duration and click the Search button to show all available appointments and make the appointment as usual.
See more in this video.
Printing your calendar
You can print your calendar by clicking the Print button at the top right of the screen. You can print your calendar in day, week and month view, with the printed version of your day and week view calendars reflecting your calendar view preferences.
Making appointments with patients
You can make appointments (including group appointments, home visits, recurring appointments and multiple appointments at the same time, as well as appointments covered by third parties and funding bodies) with patients at any time of the day or night, on any day of the week. To make an appointment with a patient, click the time of the appointment on your calendar and select the patient and the fee, or click on the Add Appointment button from any page in the Patient's Profile. Patient appointments are shaded blue by default, but you can set different colours for different types of appointments when you add your fees (which you can see in this video].
You can always view information about appointments after you have made them by clicking the appointment in your calendar.
Making recurring appointments
Main article : Making recurring and repeating appointments
See recurring appointments section for more information.
HealthKit's online booking function provides the flexibility of both time-specific bookings (whereby patients make an appointment themselves for a specific time) and request-based appointments (whereby patients select time slots and you confirm the specific appointment time), with the the complete flexibility to set set different preferences for each practitioner at each practice location and even set different preferences for new versus existing patients.
Viewing and accessing appointment details, clinical notes, invoices, claiming/referral and patient profiles from an appointment
Once you have made an appointment, you can review the appointment details in two ways, by either hovering over the time of the appointment for two seconds which makes a hover box appear with the appointment details, or by clicking the appointment, which makes the appointment details appear to the right of the calendar and includes the ability to edit the details of the appointment. You can see the following information:
- Patient name (if their preferred name differs from their formal given name, their preferred name is shown on their appointment and their formal name is shown on their invoice);
- The date, time, duration and location (including for home visits) of the appointment;
- The appointment status (e.g. confirmed, completed, etc);
- The fee details (e.g. fee amount and fee name);
- The last and next appointments (this area is not shown if there are no past or next appointments);
- Any practical notes that you have included in the Appointment Form (e.g. reminders about returning left property to a patient).
- For appointments with a referral, claim and referral details as well as expiry details such as the number of appointments made (including this appointment) under the referral, which turns red when it is the last appointment covered under the referral.
From the form you can also access:
- The reminder details including responses for this appointment by clicking the Reminders icon (which looks like a bell);
- The clinical notes for the appointment by clicking the Notes button;
- The invoice by clicking the Invoice button;
- The patient's referral and funding claim eligibility information;
- The patient's profile by clicking the patient's name.
Close the form by clicking the Close button at the top right of the form, which takes you back to your full calendar.
On the calendar itself you can determine whether you can process payments electronically through HealthKit. If electronic payments processing is available, their payment method is shown as Stored Credit Card (if there is no stored credit card, the payment method is listed as manual payments).
Changing practitioners in an appointment
In group practices, you can switch practitioners on an appointment, which removes the appointment from the original practitioner's calendar and adds the appointment to the new practitioner's calendar. It also changes the name and details (e.g. provider number) of the practitioner on the invoice, and also on reminders.
You can switch practitioners on an appointment by opening the appointment and clicking the Edit icon. In the Appointment Details section, select the new practitioner from the practitioner dropdown menu. After you save, the appointment, reminder and invoice are updated with the name and details of the new practitioner.
Appointment reminders on your calendar
As well as notifications for booked and changed appointments, you can set up reminders to be sent to patients via SMS/text or email on your Reminders page, with reminder sending statuses (for all reminders) and reminder responses (for two-way SMS reminders) shown on your calendar. You can also view, edit, reset and cancel individual reminders from the calendar, as well as view an exact character count and the number of credits used.
Changing and editing the appointment time, fees, location and other details
Dragging and dropping appointments
The easiest way to change an appointment time is to drag the appointment to the new time on the calendar using your mouse. If the new appointment time does not suit, drag the appointment back to the previous appointment time or drag it to another new time. If you have change appointment notifications set up in your practice, changing an appointment triggers a notification by email or SMS to the patient. If you change an appointment time and have reminders set up in your practice, the reminder is sent for the new appointment time.
Editing appointment fees and details
To change other details about an appointment, click the appointment on the calendar to view the appointment details, then click the Edit icon. You can edit and change the appointment details in the following ways:
- Add and remove patients;
- Add and remove fees;
- Change the appointment location to other locations listed on your practice locations as well as home visits and appointments at other locations; and
- Add or remove appointment comments.
Click the Save button to confirm the changes you have made.
Changing the appointment location
Your HealthKit automatically selects the appointment location based on your practice hours. You change the pre-selected location when you make or edit the appointment by selecting your preferred location from the Location dropdown menu. You can change the location to:
- Another practice location listed on your practice hours;
- The patient's home address listed on the General page of the patient's profile;
- Online consultation (see below); or
- Another address, which you can specify.
Click the Save button to confirm the new location. The new location appears on the appointment reminder and the invoice.
Main article: Coviu online video consultations
You can see and treat your patients in an online video consultation using the Coviu video consultation platform. You can sign up to Coviu on the Coviu website, and connect your Coviu account with your HealthKit on your Settings page in your HealthKit. When you make an appointment, select that an appointment is an online consultation in the Location dropdown menu, and click the Online Consultation hyperlink to enter the Coviu appointment session at the time of the appointment. You can also email your patient the unique link to the Coviu session so that your patient can join the Coviu appointment session at the time of the appointment.
When you first make an appointment, the appointment status is shown as Booked. If you use two-way reminders and the patient confirms the appointment, the appointment status is shown as Confirmed. The appointment status automatically changes from Booked or Confirmed to Attended, after the time of the appointment has passed.
|Arrived||Used be reception staff to let the practitioner know that a patient has arrived for their appointment.|
|Attended||The patient attended the appointment. The system automatically updates the appointment status to attended at the time of the appointment, and you can change the appointment status manually to Did not attend or Cancelled.|
|Booked||The appointment has been made in your calendar. If you do not use two-way reminders, the status remains as Booked until the appointment time when the status automatically changes to Attended. If you use two-way reminders, Booked remains the status (and is coloured yellow) until a response is received from the patient. The status changes to Confirmed (coloured green) if the patient responds that they can attend, and the status changes to Rejected (coloured red) if the patient responds that the patient cannot attend. If the patient responds but the system cannot read the response, the status changes to Check response (coloured amber).|
|Cancelled||The appointment has been cancelled. Cancelled appointments are not shown in your calendar but the Cancelled status is listed next to a cancelled appointment in the Appointments List.|
|Check response||If you use two-way reminders, Check response displays when a response has been received from a patient but it cannot be deciphered into a Yes (Confirmed) or No (Rejected) response - for example, "Thanks for your text - I'm definitely coming". It is coloured amber. You should check the response to determine whether the patient will attend or not, and change the response manually. To remove the amber colour, you need to cancel the reminder or re-send it successfully.|
|Confirmed||The patient has confirmed the appointment. The status is automatically updated to confirmed if the patient confirms their appointment through a two-way reminder. You can also change the status manually.|
|Declined||The practitioner has declined the appointment - this status will be used when online bookings are introduced.|
|Did not attend||The patient did not attend the appointment. The system assumes a patient attended their appointment, unless you change the status to Did Not Attend (or cancelled) manually.|
|Pending||The practitioner has not responded to the patient's online booking request - this status will be used when online bookings are introduced.|
|Rejected||If you use two-way reminders and the reminder has been sent, the appointment status changes to Rejected (coloured red) if the patient responds No - i.e. that they cannot attend.|
Changing an appointment status manually
You can change the appointment status manually by editing the appointment and changing the status of the appointment, for example, from Attended or Confirmed to Did Not Attend. Click the Save button when you are finished.
Cancelling and deleting appointments
To delete a single appointment (see also deleting recurring appointments), click the appointment on the calendar and then click the Delete icon (shown as a cross). A confirmation form appears showing the 3 different options that you have:
- Cancel appointment: sets the amount owing on invoices to $0 and sets the appointment status to 'Cancelled'; a record of the appointment cancellation is kept in your patient's profile, in your Appointment List and on the calendar. This is helpful if you want to keep track of the number of appointments cancelled in your practice or cancelled by a particular patient.
- Delete appointment: removes the appointment from your calendar and also removes the invoice from your Invoice List and clinical note from the patient's clinical records. This is helpful if you want to remove any record of the appointment entirely, or if the appointment was made in error.
- Non-attendance: changes the appointment status to Did Not Attend, but keeps the invoice and fee so that you can charge for a missed appointment in order to reduce the impact of no-shows in your practice (you can also use appointment reminders and electronic payments processing to significantly reduce your no-shows). Appointments marked as Did Not Attend are shown on the calendar and in the History page of the patient's profile.
Confirm your preferred option by selecting it and then clicking the Submit button. When you select Cancel appointment or Non-attendance, you can record the reasons for the cancellation in the Notes section of the appointment form, which then appears in the appointment listing on their Patient Profile.
Watch this video to see how to do this.
You cannot cancel or delete an appointment where:
- An electronic payment has been processed through HealthKit for the invoice. However, you can cancel or delete an appointment where the invoice has been paid outside HealthKit.
- Where an electronic rebate has been processed through HealthKit for the invoice (see for example, online Medicare rebates claiming in Australia).
Cancelling or deleting an appointment also cancels any scheduled reminders and notifications for the appointment.
Cancelled and non-attended appointments on the calendar
Cancelled appointments and appointments marked as Did Not Attend (DNA) are shown on your calendar with the time of the appointment struck through and with the colour of the appointment slightly dimmed. When you make another appointment at the same time as a cancelled or non-attended appointments, the new appointment is shown next to the cancelled/non-attended appointment.
Adding personal appointments to your calendar
Main article: Adding personal appointments
To make a personal appointment in your calendar (e.g. for lunch with a friend or for your own dentist appointment), click the time of the appointment on your calendar. Click the Personal button on the top right of the Appointment Booking form, and enter the details of the personal appointment. Watch this video to see how to do this.
Room, facilities and equipment booking
You can add rooms and facilities to your patient bookings to further manage your practice all from the one place.
For appointments in a particular room, such as the large consulting room, select the room from the Locations drop down menu (the room will be linked to the practice location).
For appointments requiring particular facilities, such as an X-Ray machine or psychometric testing, you will first need to select the Location, then you can select the Facilities drop down menu.
You can also see all the rooms that you have access to on the one calendar page. Select the Day button, and then from the Room Calendar drop down menu, select the Rooms you would like to see or leave it blank to see all Rooms.
Viewing all appointments
You can view all of your appointments by going to the Appointments List page, where you can also narrow down the list to all appointments for a particular patient or practitioner, or to all appointments between particular time periods.